Friday 13 July 2012

Coming soon...

In one month we will be embarking on quite an adventure, and I'm getting very excited!

I'll be spending my first layover here:

Jealous? This is Blue Lagoon in Iceland, a world-famous geothermal spa. Since we'll be in Iceland from 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. the first day of our journey, that gives us plenty of time for a warm, soothing dip. The spa is also conveniently located between Keflavik airport and the main (and only) city of Reykjavic, and buses that run between the two stop there.

After that, it's off to Rotterdam, which will serve as home base during our stay in the Netherlands. We're taking day trips to Delft and The Hague, both of which I've been to before but am keen to revisit. We're spending a night in Amsterdam, with accomodation in a very modern hotel, and then hopefully hopping over the German border to spend a day in Munster. Tony and I both have a lot of Germanic heritage, so both our families are encouraging us to go! Even if we do all of that, that still leaves us with about two days in which to be spontaneous or to spend time with our lovely host family.

Our second layover will be overnight, but apparently Reykjavic is known for its nightlife. We can probably find a good, cozy bar somewhere to wait out the night. Not that it will be dark, that is. Iceland is so far north that darkness hardly ever falls in the summertime. I'm actually very excited to be heading so far north, nearly to the Arctic Circle! While most people seek out warmer weather when they go on vacation, I'm looking forward to feeling the chill of fresh, clean, cold air in my lungs. At least for a day or two. In Holland it's been somewhat dreary this summer, but I'm hoping the sun shines on us during our visit.

In the next month we'll be buying supplies for the journey, packing, accumulating all of the necessary forms and tickets, getting currency, and generally being beside ourselves with excitement.

The cafe at Blue Lagoon has free wifi, so who knows? You may just hear from me while I'm there :-)