Monday 12 December 2011

In Atlanta, GA: FLIP Burger Boutique

Anyone who spent any time with me last summer will remember that I was became too emotionally invested in Top Chef: All Stars. I wept over this show, people. The winner of that season was my favorite from the start, Chef Richard Blais. Mr. Blais owns a trio of Burger Boutiques, and I got to go to one of them in Atlanta while I was there! FLIP Burger Midtown was a heck of a dining experience, especially to this amateur (or wannabe) foodie.

I have plenty of positive things to say, but I have one complaint to start: the hostess seated us in an isolated corner. We couldn't see the rest of the restaurant, which, with its red and black decor channeling a more modern take on a 50s diner, I was keen to take in. In hindsight, I really should have asked if we could be seated elsewhere, but I guess I didn't want to offend our waiter. All I had was a slim view of the bar on the far wall, and Tony got to look at the parking lot outside of the window, and...me. Maybe you guys should consider shuffling the tables around.

Liquid nitrogen milkshakes at FLIP Burger are so cool!
Tony and I started things off with a milkshake which was meant to be shared; my stomach can only handle minimal amounts of heavy cream these days, so I knew Tony would be doing most of the heavy drinking. I wish I could have had more, though! This wasn't your average milkshake; this, my friends, was a pumpkin chai milkshake topped with colder-than-ice, smoky liquid nitrogen, which has to fizzle off before you begin drinking. It feels like you're being presented with an edible chemistry project; it was both of our first times indulging in liquid nitrogen, and we giggled until we could drink it. After that, it didn't last very long. I die to think of it. If only I could have had more!

There was only one vegetarian burger option on the menu, which is to be expected; Tony and I planned ahead to make sure he would have options. Luckily, his "fauxlafel" burger was delicious and cooked to perfection. It was his first time having falafel, and he's a huge fan now. The salsa verde was a nice touch. I have consulted the menu online and it seems they now offer the fauxlafel and a black bean burger. Hmm.

The Cuban at FLIP Burger Boutique
My burger was the Cuban, which I have learned is no longer on the menu. Perhaps they rotate? It was a spiced pork patty topped with melted Swiss cheese, homemade pickles and thick chunks of pork belly. I'd been tempted by Blais' take on the bacon cheeseburger, but after salivating over his pork belly creations for a whole season, I couldn't pass up an opportunity such as this one. I'm glad I did! Truth be told, I found it a bit too salty; pork belly basically tasted to me like tender, concentrated bacon, so I think that smaller portions of it would have been better on the burger; the seasoned patty plus the pork belly left a salty aftertaste in my mouth. Luckily the delicious pickles offered some relief. Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad that I tried it; and what do I know, anyway? I didn't win Top Chef!

To conclude: Well done, Mr. Blais. The next time we're in Atlanta, we'll be back.

FLIP Burger has two Atlanta locations, Buckhead and Midtown, and a location in Birmingham, Alabama.