Saturday 17 September 2011

Notable Things of September

I don't know how it happened, but over half of September has gotten away from me without my noticing. Here it is, September 17. The weather is getting cooler, which means (oh rapture!) scarves and jackets and boots. Today is the massive Book and Bake sale for the library where I work. Tomorrow is my mother's 47th birthday. Everyone say "happy birthday, Mrs. B!" Best of all, next Saturday I will be watching my friends Lauren Fairweather and Matt Maggiacomo get married! Unbelievable.

Since I barely have time to breathe this month, I'll use my quiet morning at the library (the book sale is mercifully located at the park this time around) to summarize a few things. September favorites:

Favorite Album: Barton Hollow by the Civil Wars. I spent about two months on the library's waiting list before I got my hands on this gem. Gorgeous, gorgeous harmonies between Joy Williams and Johnny Depp look-alike John Paul White are the highlight of the album. Some songs lean more to the country end of the spectrum than others, but all songs feature beautiful guitar work (something I'm learning to appreciate more, lately) and exquisite melodies. "Poison and Wine" is a heartbreakingly beautiful ode to a dying relationship, and "Barton Hollow" celebrates the devil in us all with its rock-hard drumbeats and persistent guitar line. Buy this album. Now.

Favorite Meal: the peasant omelet at On Orange in Lancaster. Potatoes, herbs, and sharp cheddar cheese wrapped in an omelet with a side of country white toast and roasted tomatoes. SO GOOD. Perfect breakfast for a rainy morning, and well worth a rainy20-minute walk across town.

Favorite Movie: God, I saw a lot of movies this summer. From May-August it was (ahem): Water for Elephants (okay), Super 8 (freaking AWESOME), Midnight in Paris (fantastic; will be purchasing the DVD), The Help (very good, and quite faithful to the book), Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (tears were shed), and Crazy Stupid Love (meh). Outside of theaters, I FINALLY got around to seeing Coen Brothers' classic O Brother, Where Art Thou? And that tops this list. Between George Clooney's suave, fast-talking Odysseus and John Goodman's modern, bible-thumping cyclops and the fantastic soundtrack...oh man, it was just a lot of fun. And you did know that it's based on Homer's "The Odyssey," right?

Favorite Part of My (Better) Job: Leaving the post office just as the school bus is dropping kids off, and hearing 'HI, LIBRARIAN!!!" screeched by half a dozen little voices.

Oh, and I'm officially applying to grad school for next fall.

I think that about sums it up! Six hours of work to go...

No comments: